Monday, January 3, 2011

Resolve, 2011 Edition

It's that time of year again...time to resolve to start fresh, eat salads for every meal, workout 3 times a day, learn a language, etc etc etc. Well, in the 10 or so years that I have been making New Years Resolutions, I have yet to keep a single one. So, because the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results, I decided to not make any resolutions this year, and by proxy, to not be insane. Instead, I decided that I will come up with a new hobby for 2011. Back when I was a spring chicken, I had all sorts of hobbies. I was really quite adventurous. In my young years, I ice-skated. In my highschool/early college years, I wakeboarded regularly (and believe it or not, I was good!). I also SCUBA dived regularly and held an Advanced Open Water certification, meaning I could dive and I could dive deep. I dilly-dallied in skydiving, I learned another language, and I also got into mountain biking and kick boxing. I was one in shape little lady, but I didn't do any of it for my physique...I did it because it was fun. I think that's the difference...I had fun doing these activities, and the healthy part was just a cool side effect.

I got older and busier, and one by one, all of my hobbies fell by the wayside. I was consumed with school, work, my social activities, and then grad school, and when I had downtime all I wanted to do was veg on the couch with a movie. So, because life is just going to get busier from here on out, I decided that I need to make time for meeee. Here are some of my new hobbies that I will be introducing (or re-introducing) into my life in 2011.

Yoga! Loved it and missed it and thanks to Santa-John I am enjoying once again.

Biking! Used to do this a looong time ago, and we would do it pretty often. I live right near a beautiful state park with lots of trails to offer. Now we just have to splurge on the bikes.

Camping! I'm more of a hotel gal, but I married into a campin' fam so when in Rome, right?

Meat! OK, while the trendy resolution may include eliminating meat from your diet and going vegetarian or vegan, I'm gonna go the opposite route. I ate a steak for the first time on our honeymoon, and much to my surprise, I loved it! I hardly ate any kind of meat at all, and may as well have been a vegetarian...the stuff just really grossed me out and I have a very hard time not thinking of the animal when it was alive when it's sitting there cooked on my plate. But, I think after 27 years of iron deprivation, my body turned against my mind and took control because now I have actual meat cravings. So, in 2011 I plan on making up for lots of lost time and going to every great steak house that I once avoided. Poor John-I used to be such a cheap date, always sticking w/ the pasta option.

Who knows if my new hobbies of choice will stick, but it'll be fun to try. I hope to get the same joy and excitement out of these new activities that I once had...because who can really fail at something fun?

I'll report back throughout the year on my progress. Happy 2011 Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I wrote a long comment and then it wouldn't post???? Anyway love the latest blog entry! I will join you beginning of Feb at Yoga, once I am home from all my travels :)

    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started eating meat too!!! I had my first cheeseburger in 11 years the other day, and it was surprisingly good!

    ReplyDelete