Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Old Wives Tales

My dear friend Ashlee played this fun game at her gender reveal party based on all the old wives tales about baby gender prediction. Her sister asked her a bunch of questions and based on her response, a sticker got placed in either the boy or girl column. Cute idea for a gender reveal party or a baby shower where the gender is unknown. Based on the wives tales, it was predicted that Ash would be having a girl, which she is. I was playing along in my head, and the wives tales predicted girl for me, too, which was obviously the case. Here's a list of some of the questions: mamas out there-check it out and see if it was accurate for you, too!

Heart Rate 
If the baby’s heart rate is above 140 bpm, it is said that the baby will be a girl. If it is under 140 bpm, then it will be a boy.

Prediction: Girl-Ryleigh's heart rate was a steady 150 bpm at every appt, so this was right on.

Shape of Belly
If you are carrying high with a big, round belly, you are having a girl. If you are carrying low with a smaller belly that sticks straight out, it’s a boy.

Prediction: Boy -My belly was definitely small and lower. In fact, the cutest little Armenian lady at the jewelry district in downtown LA informed me (when I was about 8.5 mo pregnant) that my ultrasounds HAD to be wrong, because she was certain I was carrying a boy b/c of my belly size and shape, so this one was wrong for me.

Ring Test
Using a string, hang your wedding ring over your pregnant belly. You are having a girl if the ring swings back and forth and it’s a boy if it swings in a circle.

Prediction: Girl-Every time I did this, it would swing back and forth, so this one was right for me.

Acne
If you have acne while pregnant, it’s a girl. It’s thought that acne during pregnancy is caused by the extra hormones.

Prediction: Boy-I never had acne during pregnancy. In fact, my skin was probably the best it's been, so wrong-o.


Cravings
People believe that if you are craving salty foods while pregnant, you can count on having a boy. If you crave sweets, fruit, and orange juice, you are having a little girl.
Prediction: Girl-This one was right on. I have NEVER had a sweet tooth and would rarely order dessert. I don't even really like ice cream (gasp). I am all about salty foods, but during my pregnancy I could not get enough sweets. I ordered dessert after almost every meal. It's amazing that I didn't gain 100 lbs.

Legs
If your legs get really big, you’re having a boy. If your legs stay in shape and lean, it’s a girl.

Prediction: Girl-As far as I could tell, my legs stayed the same size as before. The weight that I did gain was right around my mid section.

Chinese Gender Chart
The Chinese Gender Chart claims to have an accuracy rate of over 90%. It is based on how old the mother is at conception and the month that she conceived.

Prediction: Boy-Well, 90% accuracy huh? According to the Chinese, Ry should have been a boy...

Clumsy vs. Graceful
If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl. If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy.

Prediction: Girl-The sheer fact that I didn't fall down the stairs or slip off my high heels during my pregnancy was nothing short of a miracle, because I do this on a regular basis. So, I suppose this prediction was right for me. Now that she's here, though, all bets are off-the bruises on my legs speak for themselves!

Dad’s Weight Gain
If the dad-to-be gains weight while you are pregnant, it’s a girl. If he doesn’t gain weight, you’re having a boy.

Prediction: Girl-I have to be careful here, but I'll say this one was right only b/c John joked that he was putting on sympathy weight....but this probably has more to do with the said sweet tooth-I was constantly bringing sweet treats home for us to eat! That and the sheer sight of most foods made me want to puke, so cooking was out and John lived on take out for about 6 months, which isn't always the healthiest...

What Do You Think?
71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.

Prediction: Boy-I would have bet my right arm that this babe was a boy. Good thing I didn't.

Morning Sickness
If you had a smooth pregnancy with no morning sickness, it’s a boy. If you were sick or felt really nauseous during your pregnancy, count on a girl.

Prediction: Girl-Ha. We all know the answer to this one. I was sick enough during my pregnancy that the thought of doing it again is like free birth control.

Protein
When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy.

Prediction: Girl-Meat disgusted me while I was pregnant. If my baby turns out to be a vegan hippy, that's my bad.

Headaches
If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.

Prediction: Girl-No headaches. Just stomachaches

IntelliGender Test
Ok, this is not a wives tale, just a public service announcement to save your money, folks! This $35 test claims to predict gender with 85% accuracy. You pee into a cup and the pee mixes with a chemical and if it turns bright yellow/orange, that's positive for a girl, and if it turns dark green, that's positive for a boy. The test I took turned dark green instantly. I knew that that didn't mean I should run out and paint the nursery blue, but since I already thought there was a little dude in there, this made me more certain. Wrong! Next time around I'll be patient enough to wait for the early U/S @ 14 wks = )

So, 9 out of the 13 wives tales were right on for me. Coincidence, or is there some truth to these crazy old ladies' tales? Either way, they make an entertaining guessing game while you await the big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment