Monday, August 13, 2012

One and Done?

It didn't take long after Miss R popped out for the questions about baby # 2 to begin. In fact, I think I was asked for the first time in the recovery room while I was holding my hours old baby. The thought of doing all that again was horrifying. I would have sent John down the hall for a vasectomy right then if I could have. Now, the actual childbirth part was a breeze. Probably the easiest part of the whole process. I was very fortunate to have such an easy delivery with no complications and very little pain, plus an easy recovery and an easy baby. None of that played into my decision to announce I was done. I had NO desire to be pregnant again. It's no secret that I didn't exactly LOVE being pregnant. The sickness just really got to me after 5 months of it. Was it worth it? Absolutely. Did I want to do it again? Absolutely Not! As they all say, pregnancy did become a distant memory. I have friends who are pregnant now, and they are asking me about feelings and sensations you get towards the end, and I can honestly barely remember. I remember that I was uncomfortable, but the actual details and feelings of being pregnant are fuzzy. That must be natures way of continuing mankind. You really, really do forget! My reasoning for potentially being a mama of one changed from not wanting to go through pregnancy again to not wanting to have anyone I have to share my love with. I no longer dread the thought of being pregnant, because after all, no matter how long 9 months seems at the time, it really does go by fast. I just couldn't imagine having another baby that I would love as much as sweet little R. I also couldn't imagine having to divide my attention between her and a sibling. I'm an only child, and my mom and I have often discussed whether you feel the same about your 2nd, 3rd, 4th born as you do about your first (something no person would admit most likely). Fast forward 6 months, and my mindset has definitely changed. While I am in no means wanting to add to our family anytime soon, I think that I am ok saying that I would like ONE more. This may seem strange, but part of the reason I'd like one more is because I sort of want a pregnancy do over. Now that I know what to expect, I know that I will enjoy pregnancy so much more the next time around. I know that I won't care one single bit about the gender, because you fall in love with that baby and can't imagine it being anything other than what it is once you have it in your arms. I know that every nauseous sprint to the bathroom (or planter in a restaurant parking lot) is worth it. Every muscle ache, headache, and um, other aches are WORTH it. Every drink you have to turn down, whether it be a 2nd cup of coffee or an iced cold margarita, it's worth it! And, that little baby will be another little creature that you and your hubby created, just like the first one. How could you not LOVE it the same? I grew up with a very small family-all only children all both sides. So that means I have a total of 2 cousins. No biological nieces or nephews for me. I think I'd like to break that trend in my fam and add just one more kiddo to the mix. One more. And not until R is at least 2 or 3. I need to enjoy every little moment with my first girl. And while I rest in the recovery room with baby # 2, my husband will be down the hall recovering from his vasectomy. You'd better believe it.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post my sweet Tracie Leigh :) I know we would all love another Hall baby!!!

    ReplyDelete