Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The One Where I Share A Recipe

Over the last few weeks we haven't been home for enough consecutive evenings to justify grocery shopping and cooking. But, this week we are finally getting back to normal. Last night I made some blackened mahi mahi tacos, and they turned out to be quite tasty, so I thought I'd share. Note: I used a few sauces from Trader Joe's, and in my opinion, they really added to the flavor combination, so I'd recommend picking them up!

Here it goes….

Ingredients:
Ground Paprika
Ground Cayenne Pepper
Onion Powder
Salt
Ground White Pepper
Ground Black Pepper
Dried Thyme
Dried Basil
Dried Oregano
Corn tortillas
2-3 strips of Mahi Mahi (I used the frozen Mahi Mahi from Trader Joe's)
Shredded cabbage
Shredded Mexican Cheese (any kind is fine, but I used a combo of jack, quesadilla, and cotija)
**Trader Joe's Cilantro and Roasted Pecan Dip
**Trader Joe's Mango and Papaya Salsa
**Trader Joe's Roasted Tomato Salsa

Directions:

For blackened seasoning, mix:
2 tablespoons ground paprika
1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towel. In a medium skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. While the stove is heating, melt some butter and coat one side of the mahi mahi with melted butter. Sprinkle the seasoning mix on one side of each piece of fish, and place them in the skillet, seasoned-side down. While cooking, coat the top side of the fish with butter and then sprinkle with seasoning. Flip fish after a few minutes (it will cook really fast). Flake fish into bite size pieces and cook through.

Heat corn tortillas in a separate pan until warmed.

Assemble tacos with desired toppings. I sprinkled with cabbage and drizzled both the cilantro & pecan dip and the papaya salsa, then topped with cheese. I used the roasted tomato salsa as a dipping sauce.
Squeeze some lime if desired.

Here's a pic of the final product. Excuse it…I had already eaten one taco and made a mess of my plate before I decided to photograph it, so it doesn't do it justice…but trust me, it was delish!




**Oh, and you might notice the sweet potato fries on the plate…random, know, but I bought them a while ago and needed to use them.

5 comments:

  1. Look at you Wifey! Those look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! Since i can't eat fish I might try it with Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's 8 in the morning and you just made me hungry for dinner! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! I currently don't have a kitchen, but as soon as they finish I am making these!

    ReplyDelete